Freemasonry: Initiation, Secrecy and Gnosis in Western Esotericism
Guest lecture by Professor Henrik Bogdan, Religious studies, the University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Prof. Henrik Bogdan is a well-known expert in the study of Western esotericism, especially in relation to secret societies, such as Freemasonry. His most famous book to date Western Esotericism and Rituals of Initiation has been translated into over 10 languages. In the upcoming lecture Prof. Bogdan will discuss the function of secrecy and its relation to ‘higher knowledge’ in secret societies such as freemasonry.
Prof. Bogdan is among other titles the author of Western Esotericism and Rituals of Initiation and co-editor of:
- Aleister Crowley and Western Esotericism (Oxford University Press, 2012);
- Occultism in a Global Perspective (Acumen/Routledge 2013);
- Sexuality and New Religious Movements (Palgrave, 2014);
- Handbook on Freemasonry (Brill, 2014),
- Western Esotericism in Scandinavia (Brill, 2016)
He is also the editor of ‘Oxford Studies in Western Esotericism’ (Oxford University Press)
The lecture is free and open to all.
For further information please contact Tim Rudbøg: firstname.lastname@example.org